Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Next Roger Ebert

It only took me four years, but I’m finally writing for my school newspaper this year!  Since I decided to try to lighten my workload with one less class this semester, I didn’t take a writing workshop, which is weird. I am so used to writing something creative every semester that’s been assigned to me… but I also think that keeps me from blogging and letting my brain move freely. Granted, it’d be great someday to have an editor or someone assigning me a piece every week that I get paid for… so I keep dreaming. Looking back though at the past year, I think my mind is overloaded with learning about writing, especially creative nonfiction, instead of just writing to write.

So, I skipped the class and instead got a job with the Statesman. Actually, I sort of feel into the job as a column writer. I have a connection with the Features editor and one day during a meeting for the English dept student committee, he was talking about needing some writers for review columns.

Now, I’m a movie lover and it’s been in the back of my mind for a long while that it would be fun to write movie reviews; one because I am constantly watching movies, two it’s pretty much my opinion, and three with my literature/critical background I think I could analyze movies pretty well. Oh, and I swear I am always trying to figure out the movie before it’s over.

I mentioned to him that I might be up for it and he was totally game. Plus I think because he was a little desperate for writers he didn’t even have me give him a sample...just sort of trusted that I could write. Here’s to diving off the cliff!

My editor set it up so he has two reviewers...sort of a dueling opinion, which is really neat especially when we disagree on the movie. We’re trying to catch up on the releases from over break, but here shortly we should be writing about weekly releases. I’ve found that my analytical background is coming in handy, and I’m learning the journalistic things along the way. Not to mention that it’s a different kind of creative non-fiction writing. I am indeed learning, but with a little more freedom.

Here’s to all you other movie lovers!

 

My First Column

Did You Hear About the Morgans  Avatar

Week Two

Its Complicated

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Every great film should seem new every time you see it.”

-Roger Ebert

No comments:

Post a Comment