Tuesday, January 26, 2010

In the Mood for a Good Detective Story?

This week “Sherlock Holmes” was up.

It was much different from the mystery stories I remember in my childhood, but I quite enjoyed it. One thing I didn’t have room to mention in the review was the score. AMAZING. Hans Zimmer was a genius with it. The music works in tandem with the action, slowing down or even going silent at key times.  There’s a very Irish feel to it, and Zimmer even describes it as “the famed Irish punk band The Pogues joining a Romanian orchestra.” His use of banjo was very interesting, but then again “real life happens in the pubs.”  
Here’s a taste: “The Rocky Road to Dublin” by the Dubliners played as the end credits rolled.

Sherlock Holmes

 

And I just noticed the article is number one on the ‘most popular’ list.  Exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment