Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Lines of poetry

Oh life. How you sneak up on me.  It has been too long since my thoughts have graced this blog, but it’s because they are too busy gracing essays, and papers, and freshman rubrics. Then there’s that small amount of free I have that tends to be consumed by the gym and training.  Needless to say, some things get pushed to the wayside…I really shouldn’t let it be this.  So my apologies to you faithful readers. I will probably be very few and far between over the next weeks but I’m here, thinking, planning, writing in my head, but never sitting down to type. Maybe Christmas break??  [at some point I NEED to sit down and reflect on my races…]

For your reading pleasure though… I have found a few snippets of time this week to jot down some poetry. I think autumn does that to me.It’s very raw, rough poetry, but still words. 

 

Gardenia

I.

Two twenty-nine and ten random digits pop
up on the screen. She had padded
silently to the windowsill where her Gardenia budded
in the moonlight when the first few notes of
an old ringtone sang from the other room.
She had been praying for someone and so she answered.
You called.
After so long, you called.

II.

We sat and discussed where
I would be next fall. I planned to move
to Pittsburgh for writing, but he looked
at me; his eyes, deep sea green glass, looked at me.
“Can I ask you to stay?”
“Sure”
“Stay.”

III.

Time means nothing in our realm.
Four years adds up to one kiss.


So Simple. Here we are. Here and now, finally now.

 

 

My Life is Poetry

I stepped out of yoga class
into the quiet cool of an autumn day
wearing a white thermal ribbed shirt
and a metallic crimson toned,
safe feeling infused scarf.

I welcome the winter as
a moment sitting, drinking coffee reminds
me that each day passing is a day breathed;
A day lived. So I lift thanks to the Maker who brings
a smile through a steaming mug,

and the coolness which brings me you.

No comments:

Post a Comment