Thursday, October 15, 2009

Branded

I figured since I made it through my triathlons, and hope to turn into a lifetime hobby, why not seal the reminder deal for myself.

 

So. I was branded.

 

I have had plans since this summer to get a triathlon tattoo after I finished my races, but my plans were to incorporate it with my running tattoo on my foot. However, I decided to be bold and I wanted it to stand alone. I went for the arm.

 

I know. It’s quite visible now, even when I wear Tshirts, but its not like I walk around flexing all the time :) So it’s DSCN2468actually quite hidden. About the only time it will be seen is when I’m working out or wearing shorter sleeves. But I love it.

Someone asked me this week why there, and I replied, “It attests to my strengths and my heart.” By strengths, on a literal level, the tattoo hurt but so does triathloning. And I don’t just have the tattoo to have the tattoo. I have it because I finished the race. I am a triathlete. It shows what I have done, and on a figurative level for me it is what I have been through. The start of my race was the end of a part of my life and the finish line was the beginning of another. And now that’s where I am.  Chasing those finish lines.

I specifically chose my left arm because it’s closest to my heart. After all, we wear wedding bands on the left hand because the Greeks believed there was a vein that ran directly from the third finger to the heart. And triathloning is part of my heart. Its who I am now. Its who I want to be. And its what I want to chase, even if I never win.

It is often hard to explain to others why I I run so much or why I put myself through such hard training and pain, but I find that training and running and finishing simply quiets my soul and fuels my faith. Maybe someday I’ll write a book about it. Until then, I’ll just swim, bike, and run.

And maybe flex every once in awhile. 

DSCN2470

1 comment:

  1. i just LOVE this. You have become a strong, beautiful and faithful young woman. I am proud to know you!
    YOU GO GIRL!!!

    ReplyDelete