Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A Torturous Twenty-five Minutes

“Something’s wrong with me,” I said to my mom when I called her at about six o’clock today.
“What?” She didn’t sound too alarmed. Good thing.
“I think something is wrong with me. I was barely able to run two miles in twenty-five minutes.”
“Oh. (relief) Maybe you are just having an off day.”
“I guess,” I replied feeling really dejected, but hoping for that response since she is a runner too. She understands those days when you just can’t run.

I, on the other, cannot. I mean, I know I am slow… but still, twenty-five minutes and barely over two miles?? That is back to my beginning days and discouraging considering I just ran the Fast Track mile at a 7-minute pace meaning I should have had three down pat tonight. Hrummmp. Last week I felt off and I’m supposed to be on again. I was ready to run but I just couldn’t. My legs were lead and the rest of me felt so weak. Double Hrummmp.

My mom is right though, as those wise women before us usually are and the main reason I call her every time something in my life seems a little off. Because I know she will have the answer even if I don’t want to hear it. And after I stew on it a little while, and sometimes kick my iron will out of the way, I will feel better.

“We all have those days sweetheart. Sometimes we just have too. Tomorrow, or whenever you run next will be better.”

I know, I know. I can’t always have good run days. And if I didn’t have the bad days then I wouldn’t ever know what a good, swift, smooth run would feel like. If I didn’t have any bad runs, I wouldn’t ever learn to fly.

So here’s hoping that tomorrow, which is my next run, will bring me wings.

“My feet keep me running, my wings make me fly”
-Joelle

No comments:

Post a Comment